English Springer Spaniel Dog Breed Overview
One of the most searched dog breeds on the internet, English Springer Spaniel belongs to the medium size dog. Also known as Springer Spaniel, this breed was discovered first in the England The average lifespan of this dog breed is 9-15 years and is associated with the Sporting Dogs Group.
|Dog Breed Name:
|English Springer Spaniel
|Medium size dog
|Male: 24-27 inches (61-69 cm), Female: 23-26 inches (58-66 cm)
|Male: 45-55 pounds (20-25 kg), Female: 40-50 pounds (18-23 kg)
|high energy levels
|9 to 15 years
|Dog Breed Overview:
|Spaniel-type dogs are thought to have originated in Spain — hence their name — many centuries ago and were probably taken to other parts of the world by the Romans or via trading ships. Spaniels were mentioned in Welsh law as early as 300 A.D. That's more than 1,700 years ago!Spaniels that look similar to today's English Springer Spaniel are depicted in 16th and 17th century artwork. Before guns were invented, the spaniel was used to flush gamebirds or small animals by springing at them and driving them into the open so they could be captured by hunting hawks, coursing hounds, or nets flung over them. When firearms were invented in the 17th century, spaniels proved to be especially adept at flushing game for shooters.During the 19th and early 20th centuries in England, dogs of the same litter were classified by their hunting use rather than their breed. Smaller dogs in the litter would be used to hunt woodcock, and therefore were called Cockers. Larger pups in the same litter would be used to flush game and were called Springers.In 1902, England's Kennel Club granted a special place in their Stud Book for the English Springer Spaniel, and a separate classification at their show in 1903. At that show, Mr. William Arkwright judged the breed. He awarded the dog Challenge Certificate to Mr. Winton Smith's Beechgrove Will and best of opposite sex went to Mr. Harry Jones' bitch Fansome. By 1906, Beechgrove Will became the breed's first Champion.
English Springer Spaniel Dog Breed Price
English Springer Spaniel from regular breeders cost you from $700 to $800 per puppy.
English Springer Spaniel Dog Breed Size
The English Springer Spaniel varies in size: males are normally about 19-21 inches (48-56 cm), in height and around 45-55 pounds (20-25 kg), in weight, while females are normally around 18-20 inches (46-51 cm) in height and 40-50 pounds (18-23 kg) in weight.
English Springer Spaniel Dog Breed Temperament
The English Springer Spaniel is an energetic and fairly intelligent dog,the English springer spaniel is outgoing and friendly, but still should have socialization and training from the beginning. English springer spaniels were selected as fairly close-working hunting partners and have a strong desire to be with people and to be working.
English Springer Spaniel Dog Breed Lifespan
The average lifespan for an English Springer Spaniel is 9 to 15 years. That’s because these are medium-sized dogs with a good mix of genes in their blood.
Interesting Facts about English Springer Spaniel Dog
- English Springer Spaniels don’t like to be left alone and may become nuisance barkers if they’re bored or lonely.
- In recent years, there have been reports of English Springer Spaniels who are aggressive or overly submissive. Be sure to get your Springer from a breeder who tests his or her breeding dogs for health and temperament.
- In essence, there are two varieties of English Spring Spaniel: ones intended to work in the field, and ones intended to show. Be sure you know the difference and get the type that best suits your needs.
- Don’t expect your English Springer Spaniel to be a good guard dog. They bark at noises and when strangers come around, but quickly settle down and want to be pet.
- English Springer Spaniels were developed to have great stamina and energy. Be sure that you can provide your dog with adequate exercise or he may become nervous and destructive.
- Some English Springer Spaniels can demonstrate submissive urination, which means they pee in excitement or anxiety when you come home. The best way to deal with this is to make homecomings very low key by not looking at or paying attention to your dog until you’ve been home for a few minutes. If you do this, your puppy may grow out of this behavior.
- Be sure to keep your English Springer Spaniel on a leash when you take him to unprotected areas. You never know when he will see a bird and be overcome by his instinct to go after it!
FAQ’s on English Springer Spaniel Dog
Are English Springer Spaniel smart?
Yes, English Springer Spaniel are a highly intelligent dog breed.
Are English Springer Spaniel trainable?
They are highly trainable, have the ability to learn complicated tasks, and perform excellently as search and rescue dogs.
Can English Springer Spaniel be kept with other dogs?
English Springer Spaniels are friendly, gregarious, and eager to please. They are quick learners and are known to be easy to train. They are great family dogs -and do well both with children and other dogs.
Can an English Springer Spaniel attack its owner?
The condition, also known as Springer Rage, is a dangerous form of aggression. English Springer Spaniels with this condition have been known to aggressively attack other people, their owners, and other animals.Do English Springer Spaniel Kill people?
No,Even when raised improperly, an English Springer Spaniel will not kill a person. When they attack, it is due to them being raised and socialized improperly by the owner. The reason that they can hurt people more than most other dog breeds is the fact that they have strong jaws and have a bad reputation due to which victims are in shock.
Do English Springer Spaniel have locking jaws?
No, they do not have locking jaws.
Are English Springer Spaniel safe to keep with kids?
A true diplomat, she’ll be friendly with children and pets and even give strangers a chance, too. Springer Spaniels are intelligent, obedient, and extroverted.
What should I feed my English Springer Spaniel?
English Springer Spaniels require a diet with a whole meat protein as the primary ingredient. Look for food containing whole meats or meat meals such as chicken, turkey, fish, or lamb as the primary protein source contained in the food.
At what age is an English Springer Spaniel fully grown?
Every dog is different, but if your springer spaniel is like most of his breed, he’ll reach adulthood by 18 months.
When do English Springer Spaniel lose their teeth?
Your adorable springer spaniel puppy will come home sometime after they are two months old when they are fully weaned and thriving. By three months, your pup will probably start to lose their puppy teeth, and will already weigh around 8-9kg.
How long does an English Springer Spaniel live?
An English Springer Spaniel can live anywhere from 9 to 15 years.