English Toy Spaniel Dog Breed Overview
One of the most searched dog breeds on the internet, English Toy Spaniel belongs to the small size dog. Also known as King Charles Spaniel, this breed was discovered first in the England. The average lifespan of this dog breed is 10-12 years and is associated with the Companion Dogs Group.
|Dog Breed Name:
|English Toy Spaniel
|King Charles Spaniel
|small size dog
|12-13 inches (30-33 cm)
|Male: 14-18 pounds (6-8 kg), Female: 13-17 pounds (6-8 kg)
|Low energy levels
|10 to 12 years
|Dog Breed Overview:
|Toy spaniels have existed for centuries and were favorites in royal courts. Mary, Queen of Scots, her grandson Charles I, and great-grandson Charles II were all avid fans of the small spaniels. In fact, their nickname, Charlie, comes from the two kings of that name. They are devoted unto death. Both Mary, Queen of Scots and Charles I were accompanied to their executions by their little spaniels.The toy spaniels of centuries past were slightly different from what we know today. They had a pointed muzzle, but crosses to such breeds as the Japanese Chin and Pug in the 18th and 19th centuries eventually resulted in dogs with the short muzzle and round apple head that are found in the breed today.By the end of the 19th century, the old-style toy spaniel with the more pointed muzzle had passed into history, but an American art lover named Roswell Eldridge offered a large monetary prize to the breeder who could reproduce them. King Charles Spaniel breeders took some of their long-nosed throwbacks and created what is now known as the Cavalier King Charles Spaniel, a slightly larger cousin of the ET.You can see the differences between them if you look carefully. Charlies have a more pushed-in face, a domed head, and ears that are set below the top of the head. Cavaliers have a longer nose, a flat head, and ears that hang from higher on the head. Charlies have a docked tail, while Cavaliers have a long plumelike tail. They come in the same four colors, although the ET's colors have the more the romantic designations of Prince Charles for the tricolor and King Charles for the black and tan.The Cavalier was given that name to differentiate him from the King Charles Spaniel, but American breeders went a step further and began calling the Charlies English Toy Spaniels. They're still known as King Charles Spaniels in their homeland of Britain.
|Black & Tan,Black & White,Ruby,Blenheim
English Toy Spaniel Dog Breed Price
English Toy Spaniel from regular breeders cost you from $1200 to $1500 per puppy.
English Toy Spaniel Dog Breed Size
The English Toy Spaniel varies in size: males are normally about 12-13 inches (30-33 cm) in height and around 14-18 pounds (6-8 kg), in weight, while females are normally around 12-13 inches (30-33 cm) in height and 13-17 pounds (6-8 kg) in weight.
English Toy Spaniel Dog Breed Lifespan
The average lifespan for an English Toy Spaniel is 10 to 12 years. That’s because these are medium-sized dogs with a good mix of genes in their blood.
Interesting Facts about English Toy Spaniel Dog
- Socialization is important with this breed because they can be timid when they are exposed to new people or situations.
- Considered to be an average shedder, the English Toy Spaniel should be brushed every week to remove loose hair and to keep the coat from tangling.
- For the dog’s own safety, the English Toy Spaniel should be kept on leash whenever they are walked and they should also have a fully fenced yard.
- English Toy Spaniels do well in apartments.
- English Toy Spaniels do not handle heat very well and need to be monitored on hot days to ensure that they do not overexert themselves. It is recommended that the dogs reside in an air-conditioned dwelling.
- English Toy Spaniels have low energy levels and low exercise requirements. They are happy spending their days sitting on your knee, and a leisurely walk around the neighborhood will meet their exercise needs. They make excellent companions for older owners.
- English Toy Spaniels are loving dogs that usually do well with children, but they are not the ideal breed for a home with busy children since they can become overwhelmed by the noise and excitement children make.
- English Toy Spaniels are companion dogs and thrive when they are with the people they love. They should not live outside or in a kennel away from their family.
- Separation anxiety is a common problem in the English Toy Spaniel and they can become destructive when they are separated from their owners for a period of time.
- To get a healthy dog, never buy a puppy from an irresponsible breeder, puppy mill, or pet store.
FAQ’s on English Toy Spaniel Dog
Are English Toy Spaniel Dangerous Dogs? Are English Toy Spaniel naturally aggressive?
Despite their small stature, English Toy Spaniels feel the need to be in charge as they can feel very dominant. This leads to aggression while around other dogs, kids, and even adult humans.
Are English Toy Spaniel smart?
Yes, English Toy Spaniel are a highly intelligent dog breed.
Are English Toy Spaniel trainable?
They are highly trainable, have the ability to learn complicated tasks, and perform excellently as search and rescue dogs.
Can English Toy Spaniel be kept with other dogs?
English toy spaniels are laid back. They’re easy going around cats and other dogs when properly socialized.
Do English Toy Spaniel Kill people?
No, even when raised improperly, an English Toy Spaniel will not kill a person. When they attack, it is due to them being raised and socialized improperly by the owner. The reason that they can hurt people more than most other dog breeds is the fact that they have strong jaws and have a bad reputation due to which victims are in shock.
Do English Toy Spaniel have locking jaws?
No, they do not have locking jaws.
When do English Toy Spaniel lose their teeth?
By the time your puppy is about six months old or so, all of his puppy teeth should have fallen out, and his adult teeth should have grown in.
How long does an English Toy Spaniel live?
An English Toy Spaniel can live anywhere from 10 to 12 years.