Estrela Mountain Dog Breed Overview
One of the most searched dog breeds on the internet, Estrela Mountain belongs to the Giant large size dog. Also known as Portuguese Shepherd, this breed was discovered first in Portugal. The average lifespan of this dog breed is 11-15 years and is associated with the Herding Dogs Group.
|Dog Breed Name:||Estrela Mountain Dog|
|Other Names:||Portuguese Shepherd|
|Size:||Giant size dog|
|Average Height:||Male: 25–30 inches (63.5-76 kg) Female: 24–28 inches (61-71 cm)|
|Average Weight:||Male: 99–132 pounds (45-60 kg), Female: 77–99 pounds (35-45 kg)|
|Energy:||high energy levels|
|Life Span:||11 to 15 years|
|Dog Breed Overview:||The Estrela Mountain Dog is called the Cao da Serra da Estrela in Portuguese and were herd-guarding dogs in the Serra da Estrela, which is now Portugal. While their exact origins are unknown, they are one of the oldest dog breeds in the Estrela Mountains region. It took almost a hundred years of breeding the best guardian-herding dogs to produce what is today's Estrela Mountain Dog. In the early 1900s, the standard for the Estrela Mountain Dog breed was developed. Shepherds in Portugal depended on their ability to identify and scare off wolves and other large predators. These pups are brave and intelligent, which made them perfect guardian herding dogs. Shepherds and farmers were the main breeders of Estrela Mountain Dogs before World War II. However, greater interest in the breed returned by the 1950s. Special annual shows called concursos were reinstated to encourage the people of Serra da Estrela to stick to official breed standards.|
Estrela Mountain Dog Breed Price
Estrela Mountain from regular breeders cost you $1200 per puppy.
Estrela Mountain Dog Breed Size
The Estrela Mountain varies in size: males are normally about 25–30 inches (63.5-76 kg) in height and around 99–132 pounds (45-60 kg), in weight, while females are normally around 24–28 inches (61-71 cm) in height and 30–50 pounds (13–22 kg) in weight.
Estrela Mountain Dog Breed Temperament
The Estrela is a relatively calm breed, but with children he knows and especially as a puppy, he can be quite playful. If not a working dog, options for exercise could include play time in the backyard, preferably fenced, or taken for daily walks.
Estrela Mountain Dog Breed Lifespan
The average lifespan for an Estrela Mountain is 11 to 15 years. That’s because these are medium-sized dogs with a good mix of genes in their blood
Interesting Facts about Estrela Mountain Dog
- The main colors of the Estrela Mountain Dog include fawn, yellow, and gray. They can have white markings, shading, or brindling. Sometimes these colors might mix, but many will be solid.
- Estrela Mountain Dogs can either have long coats or short coats. Neither coat type is hypoallergenic. A good brushing at least once a week is needed for grooming.
- Because the Estrela Mountain Dog is a large purebred, they can easily handle the play of overly excited children. As with all dogs, playtime must be supervised.
- They are highly intelligent but need a strong and confident owner to train them and socialize them early to be able to get along with other dogs.
- Estrela Mountain Dogs aren’t naturally fond of other animals and may prefer to be the solo pet in the household. Still, many Estrela Mountain Dogs get along just fine with other dogs and cats, so it really comes down to training, socialization, and the luck of the draw.
- Estrela Mountain Dogs are prone to weight gain, and they have medium energy levels. Make sure your dog gets at least one good half-hour to hour-long walk per day with a few good, active play sessions and shorter walks mixed in.
FAQ’s on Estrela Mountain Dog
Are Estrela Mountain smart?
Yes, Estrela Mountain is a highly intelligent dog breed.
Are Estrela Mountain trainable?
They are highly trainable, have the ability to learn complicated tasks, and perform excellently as search and rescue dogs.
Can Estrela Mountain be kept with other dogs?
Because of this it is also often distrusting of strangers and will require proper training and socialization as a puppy. The Estrela Mountain Dog, though dominant, can get along well with other pets. However, it may take some time for it to get accustomed to another dog in the home.
Does Estrela Mountain kill people?
No, even when raised improperly, Estrela Mountain will not kill a person. When they attack, it is due to them being raised and socialized improperly by the owner. The reason that they can hurt people more than most other dog breeds is the fact that they have strong jaws and have a bad reputation due to which victims are in shock.
Do Estrela Mountain have locking jaws?
No, they do not have locking jaws.
What should I feed my Estrela Mountain?
Estrela Mountains are known to piling on the pounds, however, so their diet should consist of biologically appropriate proteins, healthy fats, ground bones and vegetables – which are packed with essential vitamins and minerals – for optimum health and performance.
When do Estrela Mountain lose their teeth?
By the time your puppy is about six months old or so, all of his puppy teeth should have fallen out, and his adult teeth should have grown in.
How long does an Estrela Mountain live?
Estrela Mountain can live anywhere from 11 to 15 years.