Bohemian Shepherd Breed Overview
One of the most searched dog breeds on the internet, Bohemian Shepherd belongs to the medium size dog. Also known as Bohemian Herder, this breed was discovered first in the Czech Republic . The average lifespan of this dog breed is 10-15 years and is associated with the Herding Dogs Group.
Bohemian Shepherd Breed Price
Bohemian Shepherd from regular breeders cost you from $600 to $700 per puppy.
Bohemian Shepherd Breed Size
The Bohemian Shepherd varies in size: males are normally about 19-22 inches (48-56 cm) in height and around 33-55 pounds (16-25 kg) in weight, while females are normally around 19-22 inches (48-56 cm)in height and 33-55 pounds (16-25 kg) in weight.
Bohemian Shepherd Breed Temperament
The Bohemian Shepherd makes an excellent family dog due to its devotion to family members and adoration of children. They, in general, are friendly to strangers and get along well with other household pets. However, they will be watchful over the family and yard.
Bohemian Shepherd Breed Lifespan
The average lifespan for an Bohemian Shepherd is 10 to 15 years. That’s because these are medium-sized dogs with a good mix of genes in their blood.
Interesting Facts about Bohemian Shepherd Dog
- The Bohemian Shepherd’s coat color is black and tan. The tan markings appear above the eyes, around the ears, on the muzzle, and on feet and underside.
- The Bohemian Shepherd is an average shedder with heavier shedding occurring seasonally. They are not considered to be allergy friendly and require weekly brushing.
- Bohemian Shepherds have higher energy needs. Agility training, obedience training, or a trip to the dog park will help burn off that energy. Make sure you give your dog at least one hour-long walk per day.
- When it comes to training, they need an owner who’s patient and firm. These dogs are extremely intelligent and become bored quickly, so training sessions must be interesting with plenty of positive reinforcement.
- These dogs do not like being left alone for long periods of time. They are very social and do best in homes with a backyard to run in and multiple people to help care for them.
- The Bohemian Shepherd is said to get along great with other dogs, cats, and small pets in the household.
- The Bohemian Shepherd is a great choice for families with children. They adore kids and will love and protect the children in their household.
FAQ’s on Bohemian Shepherd
Are Bohemian Shepherd Dangerous Dogs? Are Bohemian Shepherd naturally aggressive?
The Bohemian Shepherd is a unique, medium sized shepherd with an energetic, happy personality and a loving nature toward their family. They are not generally aggressive but will become protective of their family if they feel threatened, barking ferociously when the threat approaches.
Are Bohemian Shepherd smart?
Yes, Bohemian Shepherd are a highly intelligent dog breed.
Are Bohemian Shepherd trainable?
They are highly trainable, have the ability to learn complicated tasks, and perform excellently as search and rescue dogs.
Can Bohemian Shepherd be kept with other dogs?
The Bohemian Shepherd does very well with other dogs and pets within the home. They do have an excellent sense of smell and are used extensively within the Czech Republic as search and rescue dogs.
Can a Bohemian Shepherd attack its owner?
Bohemian Shepherd is not an aggressive dog breed. They are protective of their people and their properties but will not hurt anyone without their master command. They will hold onto the person or the thing but are not likely to attack or hurt them.
Do Bohemian Shepherd have locking jaws?
No, they do not have locking jaws.
Are Bohemian Shepherd safe to keep with kids?
Training. The Bohemian Shepherd makes an excellent family dog due to its devotion to family members and adoration of children. They, in general, are friendly to strangers and get along well with other household pets.
Are Bohemian Shepherd unpredictable dogs?
The breed loves to be working but can move from activity to rest quite easily. The Bohemian Shepherd is very easily trained however, it requires a calm approach to training because it is a more sensitive breed.
What should I feed my Bohemian Shepherd?
Bohemian Shepherds are known to piling on the pounds, however, so their diet should consist of biologically appropriate proteins, healthy fats, ground bones and vegetables – which are packed with essential vitamins and minerals – for optimum health and performance.
At what age is a Bohemian Shepherd fully grown?
On average, small dogs take 9 months to reach their adult weight. Do take note that the puppy weight chart is just an estimate. If your puppy’s adult does not fall within the range of weights provided, it would be best to contact a veterinarian.
When does a Bohemian Shepherd mature?
All Bohemian Shepherd puppies look almost identical and don’t really start to show their adult coloring until they are about 6 or 7 months. Some have medium length coats, but most of them have very furry and fluffy coats. It is a medium sized dog—maximum 25 kg in the breeding standard, minimum 16 kg.
When do Bohemian Shepherd lose their teeth?
6 Months and Older: By the time, your puppy is about six months old or so, all of his puppy teeth should have fallen out, and his adult teeth should have grown in.
How long does a Bohemian Shepherd live?
A Bohemian Shepherd can live anywhere from 10 to 15 years.