Catahoula Leopard Dog Breed, Price, Lifespan, Temperament and Size
Catahoula Leopard Breed Overview
One of the most searched dog breeds on the internet, Catahoula Leopard Dog Terrier belongs to the large size dog. Also known as Catahoula Cur, this breed was discovered first in the United States. The average lifespan of this dog breed is 10-14 years and is associated with the Herding Dogs Group.
|Dog Breed Name:||Catahoula Leopard Dog|
|Other Names:||Catahoula Cur|
|Size:||large size dog|
|Average Height:||Male: 22-26 inches (56-58 cm), Female: 20-24 inches (51-61 cm)|
|Average Weight:||55-80 pounds (16-37 kg)|
|Energy:||high energy level|
|Life Span:||10 to 14 years|
|Dog Breed Overview:||Named for a Choctaw Indian word meaning "sacred lake," the Catahoula originated in northern Louisiana near Catahoula Lake. They're probably the product of breeding between local dogs and the Bloodhounds, Mastiffs, and Greyhounds brought to the area by Spanish explorers. They are sometimes known as Catahoula curs, Catahoula leopard curs, or Catahoula hounds, but the name was officially changed to Louisiana Catahoula Leopard Dog when they became the state dog of Louisiana. The Catahoula was used to track and round up the wild hogs that roamed the forests, hence the name hog dog that they sometimes goes by.The Louisiana Catahoula Cur Association was formed in 1976, followed by the National Association of Louisiana Catahoulas in 1977. Other organizations are the Catahoula Cur Breeders Association, which registers Catahoulas, and the American Catahoula Association, which works to promote and maintain the breed's conformation and working ability through shows, clinics, trials and certified testing. Events include Treeing, Hog Bay, Cow Bay, and Cow Trials. The breed was named state dog of Louisiana in 1979.The United Kennel Club was the first national dog registry to recognize the Catahoula, in 1995. The Catahoula entered the American Kennel Club's Foundation Stock Service, which maintains records for rare breeds, in 1996. It has not yet met the requirements for AKC recognition and may not participate in AKC conformation events.|
Catahoula Leopard Breed Price
Catahoula Leopard Dogs from regular breeders cost you from $300-$500 per puppy.
Catahoula Leopard Breed Size
The Catahoula Leopard varies in size: males are normally about 22-26 inches (56-58 cm), in height and around 55-80 pounds (16-37 kg) in weight, while females are normally around 20-24 inches (51-61 cm) in height and 55-80 pounds (16-37 kg) in weight.
Catahoula Leopard Breed Temperament
The breed requires firm guidance and early socialization, as they can be independent, territorial, and protective. For the same reasons, they do not allow mistreatment and will assert themselves in self-defense. Once they know their place in the family unit, they are affectionate, loyal, and gentle.
Catahoula Leopard Breed Lifespan
The average lifespan for an Catahoula Leopard Dog Terrier is 10 to 14 years. That’s because these are medium-sized dogs with a good mix of genes in their blood.
Interesting Facts about Catahoula Leopard Dog
- The Catahoula should not be left to live outside. They’re a companion dog and does poorly in isolation.
- Because they may be aggressive toward unknown dogs, a Catahoula should never be walked off leash.
- Catahoulas are highly intelligent and need firm, patient, consistent training.
- Catahoulas are energetic dogs who need at least an hour of vigorous exercise daily.
- Catahoulas shed lightly to moderately year-round. They require weekly brushing to remove dead hair and keep their coat shiny.
- The Catahoula needs early and frequent socialization, especially if you want them to be friendly toward other animals.
- The Catahoula is not recommended for a timid or first-time owner. This breed needs a confident trainer who is consistent and firm but also loving.
- Catahoula puppies need tough, durable toys.
- The ideal home for a Catahoula is one with a fenced yard and opportunities for the dog to perform its natural work of tracking and herding.
- Catahoulas are protective of the children in their family, but they are not four-legged babysitters. Always supervise interactions between children and dogs.
- If properly socialized and raised with them, Catahoulas can do well with other dogs and animals. It is important to understand that some Catahoulas may never do well with other animals and may need to live in single animal homes.
- Catahoulas can be aggressive toward other dogs, especially if both dogs are male.
- Catahoulas are alert watchdogs and wary of strangers.
- Never buy a Catahoula from a puppy mill, a pet store, or a breeder who doesn’t provide health clearances or guarantees. Look for a reputable breeder who tests their breeding dogs to make sure they’re free of genetic diseases that they might pass onto the puppies and who breeds for sound temperaments.
FAQ’s on Catahoula Leopard
Are Catahoula Leopard Dog Dangerous Dogs? Are Catahoula Leopard Dog naturally aggressive?
The Catahoula Leopard temperament is intense, serious and focused when working out in the field, and protective, playful and affectionate at home with their family. If properly socialized from puppyhood, Catahoulas aren’t aggressive toward people, but they do tend to be wary and aloof around strangers.
Are Catahoula Leopard Dog smart?
Yes, Catahoula Leopard Dog are a highly intelligent dog breed.
Are Catahoula Leopard Dog trainable?
They are highly trainable, have the ability to learn complicated tasks, and perform excellently as search and rescue dogs.
Can Catahoula Leopard Dog be kept with other dogs?
Catahoula Leopard s can live with other dogs and animals, but its often best for them to be the only pet in the family. Of course, a number of Catahoulas are perfectly able to live with other dogs, so its important to take introductions slowly and watch how your Catahoula reacts to other dogs.
Can a Catahoula Leopard Dog attack its owner?
No, Catahoula Leopard Dog are a highly loyal breed. If this ever occurs it is due to poorly raising and socializing the dog and would be a very rare instance.
Another reason can be if the owner is interacting with a sexually charged up dog or a dog who does not consider the handler as a superior. Many Catahoula Leopard Dog breeders invite Catahoula Leopard Dog males into their kennel for mating. These males are in a new place and handled by new dog handlers. Instances of attacks on humans are possible in such a scenario. If you have brought a male Catahoula Leopard Dog for breeding, be aware that you are not the master in the dog’s eyes.
Do Catahoula Leopard Dog kill people?
This is a myth. Even when raised improperly, Catahoula Leopard Dog will not kill a person. When they attack, it is due to them being raised and socialized improperly by the owner. The reason that they can hurt people more than most other dog breeds is the fact that they have strong jaws and have a bad reputation due to which victims are in shock.
Do Catahoula Leopard Dog have locking jaws?
No, they do not have locking jaws.
Are Catahoula Leopard Dog safe to keep with kids?
These dogs can do well with older children, but it’s important that they know how to interact with the dog correctly. Since Catahoulas are large, herding dogs with plenty of energy, they may be too rambunctious for younger children.
Are Catahoula Leopard Dog unpredictable dogs?
It’s the owner not the breed. This is 100% true. The Catahoula Leopard Dog is a very dependable and predictable dog breed. A Catahoula Leopard Dog will be as good or as bad as his owner. If you know your dog, you can predict how he will react in almost all situations. This will prevent any untoward incident.
What should I feed my Catahoula Leopard Dog?
3 3/8 to 5 1/8 cups of a high-quality dog food daily, divided into two meals.
At what age is a Catahoula Leopard Dog fully grown?
Catahoula Leopard Dog stop growing at around 10 months of age. However, they tend to thicken up until they are around 2 years old.
When do Catahoula Leopard Dog lose their teeth?
They start losing teeth at various ages. Playing rough and chewing bones can cause them to come out prematurely. However, most start to lose their teeth in the 3-4 month range and are done teething by 6-8 months. The molars are usually some of the last to come out. Most of the other teeth are usually already their adult teeth.
How long does a Catahoula Leopard Dog live?
A Catahoula Leopard Dog Terrier can live anywhere from 10 to 14 years.