Dorkie Dog Breed Overview
One of the most searched dog breeds on the internet, Dorkie belongs to the small size dog. Also known as Dorkie Terrier, this breed was discovered first in the United States. The average lifespan of this dog breed is 13-16 years and is associated with the Mixed Breed Dogs Group.
|Dog Breed Name:
|smalll size dog
|5-9 inches (13-23 cm)
|5-12 pounds (2-5 kg)
|high energy levels
|Mixed Breed Dogs
|13 to 16 years
|Dog Breed Overview:
|The Dorkie dog breed may have existed naturally over the years, but designer breeders started intentionally mixing Dachshunds with Yorkshire Terriers in the 1990's, likely in the US.Breeders mixed the pups to minimize health issues that are common among pure breeds and also to create the ultimate, adorable, laid-back companion dog. They continued to create Dorkies as demand for the mixed breed pups grew.
Dorkie Dog Breed Price
Dorkie from regular breeders cost you from $400 to $600 per puppy.
Dorkie Dog Breed Size
The Dorkie varies in size: males are normally about 5-9 inches (13-23 cm) in height and around 5-12 pounds (2-5 kg) in weight, while females are normally around 5-9 inches (13-23 cm) in height and 5-12 pounds (2-5 kg) in weight.
Dorkie Dog Breed Temperament
The Dorkie is an intelligent, loyal, sociable, playful, and affectionate breed with a big personality that belies its small stature.
Dorkie Dog Breed Lifespan
The average lifespan for a Dorkie is 13 to 16 years. That’s because these are medium-sized dogs with a good mix of genes in their blood.
Interesting Facts about Dorkie Dog
- Dorkies are mixed breed dogs. They are not purebreds like their Dachshund or Yorkshire Terrier parents.
- The main colors of Dorkies are red, brown, black, and blue. They are typically any blend of two or more of these colors.
- Dorkies are not considered to be a good choice for allergy sufferers. However, their coats are low maintenance and may only require three to four brushings per week.
- Because the Dorkie is a small dog, they can be easily injured by excited children. They are affectionate with family, friends and children. Just make sure small kids are supervised.
- Dorkies can get along with other dogs as well as pets of different species. But protect your pup from bigger dogs in public. Dorkies don’t see themselves as small dogs, and larger dogs could feel challenged by their confidence.
- Your Dorkie will be active around the house, but won’t require long walks with their short legs. However, it’s important to remember they have small bladders and may need frequent potty breaks.
- These friendly pups do not care much for alone time. So make sure that you have lots of love and attention to give and they will repay you in loyalty and devotion.
FAQ’s on Dorkie Dog
Are Dorkie smart?
Yes, Dorkie are a highly intelligent dog breed.
Are Dorkie trainable?
They are highly trainable, have the ability to learn complicated tasks, and perform excellently as search and rescue dogs.
Can Dorkie be kept with other dogs?
They enjoy cuddling and being held and tolerate children and other pets well. However, it is best to supervise until you know how they will react.
Can a Dorkie attack its owner?
No, Dorkie are a highly loyal breed. If this ever occurs it is due to poorly raising and socializing the dog and would be a very rare instance.
Another reason can be if the owner is interacting with a sexually charged up dog or a dog who does not consider the handler as a superior. Many Dorkie breeders invite Dorkie males into their kennel for mating. These males are in a new place and handled by new dog handlers. Instances of attacks on humans are possible in such a scenario. If you have brought a male Dorkie for breeding, be aware that you are not the master in the dog’s eyes.
Do Dorkie kill people?
No, Even when raised improperly, Dorkie will not kill a person. When they attack, it is due to them being raised and socialized improperly by the owner. The reason that they can hurt people more than most other dog breeds is the fact that they have strong jaws and have a bad reputation due to which victims are in shock.
Do Dorkie have locking jaws?
No, they do not have locking jaws.
Are Dorkie unpredictable dogs?
As we mentioned above, crossbreed dogs like the Dorkie can be somewhat unpredictable when it comes to certain characteristics and traits, and this does include their appearance. The Dorkie comes from two very different purebred dogs
What should I feed my Dorkie?
Dorkies are known to piling on the pounds, however, so their diet should consist of biologically appropriate proteins, healthy fats, ground bones and vegetables – which are packed with essential vitamins and minerals – for optimum health and performance.
At what age is a Dorkie fully grown?
Dorkie is done growing by the 1year mark. Most Yorkshire Terriers slow down in growth by 9 to 10 months and usually finish growing completely by 12 months.
When do Dorkie lose their teeth?
Dogs normally begin to lose their primary (“puppy”) teeth at around 4 months of age. If the primary teeth don’t fall out as the adult teeth come in, infection or damage to the adult teeth may occur.
How long does a Dorkie live?
Dorkie can live anywhere from 13 to 16 years.