Harrier Dog Breed Overview
One of the most searched dog breeds on the internet, Harrier belongs to the Medium size dog. Aslo Known as Harehound. This breed was discovered first in the United Kingdom . The average lifespan of this dog breed is 10-12 years and is associated with the Hound Dogs .
|Dog Breed Name:
|Medium size dog
|19-21 inches (48-50 cm)
|40-60 pounds (18-27 kg)
|high energy levels
|10 to 12 years
|Dog Breed Overview:
|There are several conflicting stories about how the Harrier breed came to be. The word Harrier was Norman French and meant hound or dog. With that connection, the best guess may be that the earliest Harrier-type dogs descended from a cross of Bloodhounds, Talbot hounds, and perhaps even Basset Hounds, all of which had their origins in what are now France and Belgium.In England, where the Harrier breed was developed, a pack of Harrier-type dogs was established as early as 1260 — more than 800 years ago! The Penistone pack, established by Sir Elias Midhope, existed for at least 500 years, well into the 18th century.Originally, these packs were used to hunt hare with the hunters following on foot, so at that time, they were a much slower and more methodical type of hound than today's Harriers. When foxhunting became fashionable with the hunters on horses, Harriers were adapted to have more speed.The Association of Masters of Harriers and Beagles was formed in England in March 1891. At that time, Harriers were much more popular than Beagles. The 1891-1900 volumes of the AMHB's Stud Book list 107 registered packs of Harriers.Admission into the Stud Book in those days was based on the records of the pack owner or by committee. It appears that many of the foundation Harriers were in fact small Foxhounds. Additionally the names of some of these foundation Harriers appear in the pedigrees of top-winning Beagles. From this, it's surmised that the name "Harrier" was used to describe the type of hunting and size of the hound rather than its pedigree.
Harrier Dog Breed Price
Harriers from regular breeders cost you from $300 to $400 per puppy.
Harrier Dog Breed Size
The Hamiltonstovare varies in size males are normally about 19-21 inches (48-50 cm) in height and around 40-60 pounds (18-27 kg) in weight, while females are normally around 19-21 inches (48-50 cm) in height and 40-60 pounds (18-27 kg) in weight.
Harrier Dog Breed Lifespan
The average lifespan for a Harrier is 10 to 12 years. That’s because these are medium-sized dogs with a good mix of genes in their blood.
Interesting Facts about Harrier Dog
- Some Harriers can be stubborn and difficult to housetrain. Crate training is recommended.
- Harriers tend to be vocal and some love to howl.
- Some Harriers like to dig and have been known to dig under fences to escape and chase after something.
- Harriers are hunting dogs and will take any opportunity to pursue game or follow a scent. A secure fence is a necessity if you have a Harrier. Underground electric fences are not effective with Harriers because they have a high pain threshold and the brief shock they get from crossing the invisible line does not deter them from chasing or investigating things beyond its boundaries.
- Harriers are high-energy dogs and have a great deal of stamina. They are perfect for active families or athletic people who like to jog or bicycle with their dogs alongside (on leash so they don’t take off on a chase), but they may become obese or destructive if living in a more sedentary home.
- If not properly trained and socialized, your Harrier may see cats and other small furry animals as prey and act accordingly.
- Harriers are good watchdogs who will bark if they feel that someone or something is threatening their territory, but they are not good guard dogs. After raising the alarm, they are likely to greet strangers as long-lost friends.
- Harriers can stay outdoors if given adequate shelter from the heat and cold, but being pack animals, they are at their best when they are around other dogs or their family.
- The Harrier’s long ears prevent adequate air circulation to their ears and they may be prone to ear infections.
- To get a healthy dog, never buy a puppy from a backyard breeder, puppy mill, or pet store. Look for a reputable breeder who tests her breeding dogs to make sure they’re free of genetic diseases that they might pass onto the puppies, and that they have sound temperaments.
FAQ’s on Harrier Dog
Are Harriers smart?
In general, The Harrier is highly intelligent but can be a handful to train, early socialization is highly recommended.
Are Hanoverian Scent Hounds trainable?
The Harrier is a dog that has a reputation for being very tricky to train.
Do Harriers kill people?
No, Even when raised improperly, a Harrier will not kill a person. When they attack, it is due to them being raised and socialized improperly by the owner. The reason that they can hurt people more than most other dog breeds is the fact that they have strong jaws and have a bad reputation due to which victims are in shock.
Do Harriers have locking jaws?
No, they do not have locking jaws.
Are Harrier unpredictable dogs?
It’s the owner not the breed. This is 100% true. The Harrier is a very dependable and predictable dog breed. A Harrier will be as good or as bad as his owner. If you know your dog, you can predict how he will react in almost all situations. This will prevent any untoward incident.
How long does a Harrier live?
A Harrier can live anywhere from 10 to 12 years.