Fila Brasileiro Dog Breed Overview
One of the most searched dog breeds on the internet, Fila Brasileiro belongs to the Giant large size dog. Also known as Brazilian Molosser, this breed was discovered first in Brazil. The average lifespan of this dog breed is 9-12 years and is associated with the Working Dogs Group.
|Dog Breed Name:||Fila Brasileiro|
|Other Names:||Brazilian Molosser|
|Size:||Giant large size dog|
|Average Height:||Male: 26–30 inches (65–75 cm), Female: 24–28 inches (60–70 cm)|
|Average Weight:||90-110 pounds (41-50 kg)|
|Energy:||average energy level|
|Life Span:||9 to 12 years|
|Dog Breed Overview:||"The exact origins of the Fila Brasileiro, including when the breed came into existence, aren't well-documented. Based on the Brazilian Mastiff's appearance, it's believed that the massive breed was created by crossbreeding English Mastiffs, Bulldogs, and Bloodhounds during the 1600sThese large dogs were used by colonist plantation owners to fend off large predators like jaguars. They were also used to hunt and would track down livestock like cattle, sadly along with escaped enslaved people from the plantations, and grip them by the |
neck, holding them down until the dogs' humans arrived.Despite their massive size, these guard dogs are agile. The Fila Brasileiro could chase at up to 35 MPH for their plantation owning humans, and then shift into a quiet, docile mode when relaxing with the family. Centuries later, in 1946, the first breed standards for the Fila Brasileiro were published. The inhabitants of the city Sao Paulo were put in charge of keeping breeding
records. In 1954, the Brasil Kennel Club (BKC) accepted the breed, and in 1960, so did the Fédération Cynologique Internationale (FCI)."
Fila Brasileiro Dog Breed Price
Fila Brasileiro from regular breeders cost you from $1000 to $1200 per puppy.
Fila Brasileiro Dog Breed Size
The Fila Brasileiro varies in size: males are normally about 26–30 inches (65–75 cm) in height and around 90-110 pounds (41-50 kg) in weight, while females are normally around 24–28 inches (60–70 cm) in height and 90-110 pounds (41-50 kg) in weight.
Fila Brasileiro Dog Breed Temperament
The Fila Brasileiro is very protective of its family, but this dog is not recommended for most owners. It is prone to becoming aggressive with people and other animals without extensive, consistent, and ongoing training and socialization throughout its life.
Fila Brasileiro Dog Breed Lifespan
The average lifespan for an Fila Brasileiro is 9 to 12 years. That’s because these are medium-sized dogs with a good mix of genes in their blood.
Interesting Facts about Fila Brasileiro Dog
- Fila Brasileiros have high energy levels. Make sure your dog gets at least two to three good half-hour- to hour-long walks per day with a few good, active play sessions and shorter walks mixed in.
- The Fila Brasileiro’s coat can be brindle, fawn, or black. Sometimes, a Fila may have a black mask.
- Their coats are smooth and short-haired, and they shed regularly. This means they don’t make great choices for allergy sufferers.
- Your Fila may not take well to other kids, like playmates, so it is important to set up boundaries for both the dog and kids. Teach your children how to properly interact with your Fila Brasileiro to prevent any unwanted injuries.
- Filas can get along with other dogs their size but tend to view anything smaller as prey. Even with consistent training, Filas are hard-wired to chase down small animals like cats and smaller pups, and will likely be best suited as the only animal in the home.
- The Brazilian Mastiff was bred to be loyal only to their owners, which means that consistent and early socialization is key to raising a Fila Brasileiro who won’t become aggressive around visitors or strangers.
FAQ’s on Fila Brasileiro Dog
Are Fila Brasileiro smart?
Yes, Fila Brasileiro are a highly intelligent dog breed.
Are Fila Brasileiro trainable?
They are highly trainable, have the ability to learn complicated tasks, and perform excellently as search and rescue dogs.
Can Fila Brasileiro be kept with other dogs?
Fila Brasileiros can do well with other dogs as long as they were raised together since puppyhood. A Fila Brasileiro will likely not tolerate the addition of a new dog into the family.
Can Fila Brasileiro attack its owner?
Filas are naturally human aggressive dogs. They will be affectionate towards their owners but yes, they are most certainly dangerous to others. Filas aren’t naturally trained protection dogs, they don’t stop at a command. If they manage to get to a person or even another dog they can and will kill them.
Do Fila Brasileiro have locking jaws?
No, they do not have locking jaws.
What should I feed my Fila Brasileiro?
Fila Brasileiros are known to piling on the pounds, however, so their diet should consist of biologically appropriate proteins, healthy fats, ground bones and vegetables – which are packed with essential vitamins and minerals – for optimum health and performance.
How long does a Fila Brasileiro live?
An Fila Brasileiro can live anywhere from 9 to 12 years.