Hovawart Dog Breed Overview
One of the most searched dog breeds on the internet, Hovawart belongs to the larger size Dog. Also known as Afghan Lab, this breed was discovered first in the United States. The average lifespan of this dog breed is 10-14 years and is associated with the Mixed Breed Dogs Group.
|Dog Breed Name:||Hovawart|
|Size:||large size dog|
|Average Height:||23 - 28 inches (58 - 70 cm)|
|Average Weight:||55 - 90 pounds (25 - 51 kg)|
|Energy:||average energy level,|
|Life Span:||10 to 14 years|
|Dog Breed Overview:||The Hovawart originated in Germany and is claimed to have been descended from breeds such as the Newfoundland and the Leonberger. These strong dogs were built to withstand the various types of terrain in their environment to become excellent search and rescue dogs, as well as to be used for tracking.The Hovawart was bred to be a working dog, and their most important task was to guard their humans' homes and livestock. The breed lost popularity, and their numbers were dwindling, but devoted Hovawart breeders were able to reestablish the breed and added regulations to make sure the Hovawart was a healthy, hardy dog breed. They are even known to risk their lives in order to protect their families.|
Hovawart Dog Breed Price
Hovawart from regular breeders cost you from $400 to $1000 per puppy.
Hovawart Dog Breed Size
The Hovawart varies in size: males are normally about 20–28 inches (51–71 cm) in height and around 50-75 pounds (22–35 kg) in weight, while females are normally around 20–29 inches (50–74 cm) in height and 60–65 pounds (27–30 kg) in weight.
Hovawart Dog Breed Temperament
The Hovawart is a mixed breed dog–a cross between the Afghan Hound and Labrador Retriever dog breeds. Loyal, energetic, and affectionate, these pups inherited some of the best qualities from both of their parents. Hovawarts are also sometimes known as the Afghan Lab.
Hovawart Dog Breed Lifespan
The average lifespan for an Hovawart is 10 to 14 years. That’s because these are medium-sized dogs with a good mix of genes in their blood.
Interesting Facts about Hovawart Dog
- The Hovawart has a coat that comes in three colors. They can be solid blonde, solid black, or black with tan or gold markings.
- The Hovawart is considered to be an average shedder, with most of the shedding occurring seasonally. They’re not a good choice for allergy sufferers.
- Hovawarts have a medium to high energy level and, regardless of what type of physical activity your pup engages in, they will require at least one hour long walk per day.
- The Hovawart is a great family dog and will get along well with children when properly socialized with them at a young age. They can become very protective of kids.
- Hovawarts have a very dominant temperament, which oftentimes makes it quite difficult for them to interact with other dogs. It can be a tough task socializing your Hovawart with other dogs. However, as long as they are socialized at a young age, Hovawarts generally get along with cats or other pets in the household.
- Hovawarts will thrive best in a home with a large, fenced-in yard. They are not suited for apartment life and can become destructive due to pent up energy from being in a small space.
- They’re not recommended for first time dog parents as they will need someone who is firm, consistent, and will act as the pack leader.
FAQ’s on Hovawart Dog
Are Hovawart Dangerous Dogs? Are Hovawart naturally aggressive?
If not properly trained and socialized, hovawarts can be overly territorial and aggressive. Males may especially have problems getting along with other male dogs.
Are Hovawart smart?
Hovawarts are affectionate, trustworthy, and obedient. They’re also highly intelligent but can be stubborn and strong-willed. As such, Hovawarts require significant time and attention. But they make excellent companions for experienced owners.
Are Hovawart trainable?
The Hovawart is a dog that has a reputation for being very tricky to train.
Can Hovawart be kept with other dogs?
If socialised from a young age, the Hovawart is usually good with all other pets and other dogs, although un-neutered males can sometimes try and dominate other dogs. Hovies are an intelligent breed that need consistent training.
Do Hovawart kill people?
No, Even when raised improperly, Hovawart will not kill a person. When they attack, it is due to them being raised and socialized improperly by the owner. The reason that they can hurt people more than most other dog breeds is the fact that they have strong jaws and have a bad reputation due to which victims are in shock.
Do Hovawart have locking jaws?
No, they do not have locking jaws.
Is Hovawart safe to keep with kids?
Good with children and pets, Hovawarts are kind, faithful, and affectionate toward children and get along well with other pets when properly trained and socialized.
How long does an Hovawart live?
An Hovawart can live anywhere from 10 to 14 years.